Summary of supporting supplements
Vitamins, minerals and enzymes
(Check accumulative amounts of ingredients of all supplements). To be monitored by a clinical nutritionist is a good idea. Find one through the Institute of Optimum Nutrition www.ion.ac.uk
Summary of supplements supporting vitamin B17 therapy (to be taken with meals):
- Multivitamin/mineral - Binzel recommends twice daily but no level is suggested (see comments below).
- Zinc is the transportation mechanism for the laetrile. In the absence of sufficient quantities of zinc, the laetrile does not get into the tissues. A therapeutic dose is 15 - 35mg daily.
- Vitamin C 2 - 5 gm (i.e. 2000-5000mg) daily (at least 6gm while high dose of vitamin B17 is taken) NB If you wish to cut down from high doses of vitamin C, please do this gradually.
- Vitamin E 800 iu daily
- Vitamin B15 (pangamic acid) 100mg three times daily - detoxifies the liver and enhances oxygen intake.
- Pancreatic/digestive enzyme - supplement with meals. Binzel recommended Univase Forte (formerly MegazymeForte) two tablets three times daily. See The importance of enzymes
- Vitamin A (e.g. A + E emulsified drops 15,000 i.u. vitamin A and 10 i.u. vitamin E per drop). The emulsified form is non-toxic. (125,000 i.u. recommended daily by Binzel) Beta-carotene is also non-toxic; retinol is safe up to 10,000-50,000 i.u. daily (i.e.10,000-17,000mcg). (see Holford's New Optimum Nutrition Bible page 427).
- Vitamin D It is now known that high levels of vitamin D support the fight against cancer. For more information see www.canceractive.com. I use Bio-D-Mulsion Forte (Biotics Research) from Nutrestore or the Nutricentre.
- Vitamin K This has also been shown to be important. I use 'Peak K2', obtainable at the shop linked to www.canceractive.com, which has further information.
- Multivitamin/mineral.Patrick Holford of The Institute of Optimum Nutrition comments that a 'one tablet daily' multivitamin/mineral is not going to provide enough nutrients if the size is kept to an acceptable level. Good multi formulae are offered with two or more tablets a day to give optimum levels of nutrients. For full recommendations see Holford's book Say No To Cancer. Recommendations include: B vitamins mainly 50-100mg(100mcg for B12 and 400mcg for folic acid) vitamin E 400-800iu; vitamin A as beta carotene 10,000 (3300mcgRE) to 30,000iu (10,000mcgRE) per day vitamin C over 1000mg (3gm long term and up to 10gm short term); selenium 100-200mcg; zinc 15-35mg. It is best to get the B vitamin level right in the 'multi' and add extra supplements to give a boost to the other requirements.
[The 'multi' I take (April 2003) is two capsules daily which gives me 100mg of the main B vitamins, 100mcg of B12 and 400mcg of folic acid. It gives 150ius of vitamin E, so I also take an extra 600iu capsules of E. It only gives 1.5mg of zinc so I supplement with two 15mg capsules of zinc. I also take an extra supplement of vitamin A, 9500iu of beta carotene to add to the almost 8500iu of retinol in the multi. I also take vitamin C - at least 4 gm daily. The multi has low levels of selenium so I add 100mcg selenium (in one of my vitamin E supplements). NB I also take other supplements, e.g. digestive enzymes.]
[2006 update - I now take Complete Immune Powder (formerly called Wholly Immune) which is specially formulated for those who have suffered with cancer. I add extra emulsified vitamin D, omega 3 fish oil (Eskimo 3), extra vitamin C (see below) and I have visited a cranial osteopath/nutritionist who also uses muscle testing to tell specifically what my body needs as an extra to this. In 2010 I found I needed vitamin K for a long standing problem and was interested to find this is helpful against cancer].
- Zinc is important - don't forget to check how much you are getting.
- Vitamin D is important in the fight against cancer. Sun on the skin produces vitamin D so being in the sun is health promoting, but take care not to burn.
- Vitamin C has a laxative effect at high doses, so experiment to find your own ideal level. I take Ultra Potent-C by Nutri. This comes in powder or tablet form and contains a precursor supporting system that enhances its bioavailability and biological activity. It accelerates delivery to the tissues and increases tissue saturation. Vitamin C retention is increased, producing higher blood serum levels of vitamin C over a 24 hour period. NB If you wish to cut down on vitamin C intake please do this gradually. Another well absorbed product is Lypo-spheric vitamin C which is estimated to be ten times as powerful as intravenous vitamin C.
- Digestive enzymes. The enzymes often mentioned are bromelain (from pineapples) and papain (from papaya/pawpaw). Also important are trypsin and chymotrypsin, which are contained in Univase Forte (formerly MegaZyme Forte).
- Other supplements. For general good health will also be needed, such as calcium and magnesium, omega 3 fish oils and perhaps MSM and glucosamine for joint health, trace elements - take time to consider overall needs - see suggested reading below. Check with a nutritionist.
- Assimilation NB! It doesn't matter how many supplements you take, if your body is not assimilating the nutrients you will not be benefiting. Again, a clinical nutritionist or muscle testing would be able to check this.
Additional supplements not specifically mentioned in connection with B17 therapy: there are a number of preparations which are specifically anti-cancer, sometimes helping a specific type of cancer.
Herbal and natural supplements which are anti-cancer/boost the immune system
- Cellular Medicine containing vitamin C, the amino acids lysine and proline, and a green tea extract has been proved in the laboratory to halt the spread of cancer. See www.dr-rath.com.
- Graviola and N-Tense (Amazon herbs including graviola with cytotoxic (anticancer), antibacterial, immunostimulant and antiviral properties.) Graviola is a tree in the Amazon which has been studied in more than 20 laboratory tests since the 1970s, where it has been shown to effectively target and kill malignant cells in 12 different types of cancer, including colon, breast, prostate, lung and pancreatic cancer, without harming healthy cells. These findings were leaked by a researcher, after the drug company dropped their unsuccessful attempt to synthesise two of the chemicals. See www.rain-tree.com.
- CanSupport - herbal nutrient support for specific cancer types i.e. bone cancer, brain cancer, breast cancer, colorectal cancer, kidney and liver cancer, leukemia/lymphomas, lung cancer, ovarian/cervical/uterine cancer, pancreatic cancer, prostate cancer. Each formula contains graviola and 7 -9 other herbs in varying proportion. For a list of the contents of each formula see www.altcancer.com.
- Shark Cartilage - once a cancer mass is formed it develops its own blood supply and defence system, a process called angiogenesis. One strategy against this is to cut off the tumour's blood supply so that it effectively starves to death. Shark cartilage inhibits new blood vessels in tumours. Obtainable from health shops. Preven-CA is a natural blend of shark cartilage, milk thistle, garlic powder, grapeseed extract, carrotroot powder, alfalfa powder and boldo. Developed by Dr Francisco Contreras and available from www.healthgenesis.com.
- Zeolite - Znatural a powerful, natural detox that can be taken with chemotherapy and help with any side effects. However ZNatural should not be taken with radiotherapy. See www.spiritofsunshine.co.uk.
- Iodine: Lugol's Solution/Iodoral See Iodine deficiency and links with breast cancer
The following herbal supplements boost the immune system and some could be helpful alongside other therapies which are specifically targeting cancer
- Complete Immune (Detox and Cell Protector) formulated by oncologist and founder of a clinic in Germany. A blend of herbs and nutrients designed to work synergistically to enhance immune system function, decrease oxidative damage and promote liver detoxification. Includes high levels of vitamins and minerals as well as anti-cancer herbs such as milk thistle, olive leaf, astragalus, grape seed extract, turmeric, green tea extract, etc. Provides support for those undergoing chemotherapy or radiotherapy, and afterwards. This needs to be prescribed by a nutritionist or other health professional.
- Milk Thistle (silymarin) enhances overall liver function, as well as stimulating the production of new liver cells. The liver detoxifies poisons that enter our bloodstream, and is also the site where vitamins A, D, E and K are stored.
- Cat's Claw (Uncaria tomentosa) (aka Uno de Gato) immune booster, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant.
- Pau D'Arco (Tabecuia impetiginosa) has been used to treat cancer, and is anti-fungal, anti-parasitic and good for digestion.
- Spirulina - a blue-green algae that grows naturally in mineral-rich alkaline lakes. Contains more protein than meat and fish, contains all eight essential amino acids, high iron, calcium and mineral content, more GLA than evening primrose, natural antioxidants and many vitamins. www.xynergy.co.uk sells several brands.
- Dr Gillian McKeith's Living Food Immune Defence contains 11 key superfoods and live sprouts, all organic. Broccoli sprouts, astragalus, ginseng, reishi and shitake, lapacho (pau d'arco), milk thistle, oregon grape, olive leaf, ginger root, licorice root, lemon peel.
- Pure Synergy containing over 60 superfoods - algaes and organic green juices, freeze dried herbs, oriental therapeutic mushrooms, plant enzymes, royal jelly, natural antioxidants, etc. Capsules, tablets or powder. Available from www.xynergy.co.uk (leaflet available) or www.nutricentre.com or Nutrestore.
- Olive Leaf Extract antimicrobial, antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, anti-hypertensive, antioxidant. See www.xynergy.co.uk
- Body fluid pH levels are important. Cancer flourishes in an acidic environment. See the article 'Acid bodies increase cancer risk' on www.canceractive.com and information on installing a water ionizer.
TOP of PAGE
PRINT this page
- Patrick Holford Say No To Cancer (Piatkus, London 1999), Supplements for Superhealth (Piatkus, 2000) New Optimum Nutrition Bible (Piatkus, London 2004)
Jennifer Meek & Patrick Holford Boost Your Immune System (Piatkus, London 1998)
- W. John Diamond M.D. and W. Lee Cowden M.D. with Burton Goldberg Cancer Diagnosis - What to do next (AlternativeMedicine.com Books, California 2000) Clinically proven, safe and non-toxic treatment.
- Dr Rosy Daniel with Andrew Panton The alternative cancer treatment guide (Health Creation 2003) www.healthcreation.co.uk
- Chris Woollams Everything you need to know to help you Beat Cancer (Health Issues 2002) www.canceractive.com
- Russell L. Blaylock, M.D. Natural Strategies for Cancer Patients (Kensington, New York 2003). Suggestions to minimise the side effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, and to fortify the immune system, all with nutrition.